Apr 11, 2005

Always the Bridesmaid's Mother

My daughter broke up with her boyfriend...again. Which means I am plunged into a depression much deeper than hers ever dreamed of being. We were close...soooooooo close. And now we have to start over again. Even if she meets Mr. Right tonight, we couldn't possibly plan the wedding of her dreams in less than a year...and let's face it, I'm not getting any younger! As Debbie Reynolds said in "In and Out", I neeeeed a wedding, I need place cardsimages-2 and violins and white tulle dotted with tiny, hand-sewn pearl sequins...

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm the mother from hell. But that's not true. My daughter feels exactly the same way I do. (And she will think this blog entry is funny.) And now I have to support her that she's done the right thing by leaving her potential groom.

Why did she leave this gorgeous, tall, muscular man who owns his own home and has a good job with great benefits and 401K? Because he's a Playstation addict. That's right. He doesn't beat her. He's not into drugs or alcohol. He doesn't cheat on her. He doesn't gamble. But, sadly, he has all the tell-tale signs: glazed-over, blood-shot eyes, thumb calluses, overly-developed reflexes, scheduled vacation days where he doesn't leave the house and the inability to be away from the game for more than two hours at a time.

Why does technology have to be so difficult?images-1

No comments: