Nov 29, 2005

We're Movin' On Up

You don't realize what a piece of crap you live in until you decide to sell the place. Looking at the house through a buyer's eyes is pretty scary...

Yes, that's right. We've decided after 22 years to get a bigger house in a better location. But until we decide exactly what and where--we're preparing our house to put on the market.

It's not in that bad of shape...it just needs some little touches here and there (like new doors and windows). The rest of the stuff (floors, bathrooms, roof) have been replaced within the last couple of years--not to mention the 4 year old pool and spa which I understand from the realtor doesn't really add to the value of your home...it's just a $40,000 bonus to the new owners...lucky them! (Do I sound bitter?)

Anyway, although I feel moving is the right decision, it makes me sad fixing up our home to near-perfect condition for someone else, when we never bothered to do it for ourselves. The closets have never been as spacious and uncluttered, the switch plates have never been as pristine, the ceiling fans have never been as dust-free.

It's kinda like when you've made a hair appointment and your hair suddenly looks the best it's ever looked. It's like it knows...

5 comments:

thewriterslife said...

Hi Karyn! Been too long since I last commented...where you moving to? I would love to move!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Karyn,

What a pain. I would avoid moving like the plague! Fortunately Carol agrees, and has said she doesn't care if we live in this house the rest of our lives. I love that woman!

I did one of your "poetry Wednesday" things on a Tuesday this week. I've always been a copycat.

John

Nankin said...

What, did you sell a book? Don't forget, when you move, there's the task of making your new house your home. I don and don't envy you.

Bill said...

Maybe, once you get the place all spruced up... you'll want to stay! That's always happened to me, but, I was always moving for a reason, so we left all the finishing touches and started all over again!

It's a love/hate thing for sure, moving, the new place is always exciting, but I hate leaving all the memories in the old place.

Hale McKay said...

Good luck on the new digs - moving stinks. So does the new place until everything is unpacked and you are settled.